Saturday, September 1, 2007

Sitting in the Cincinnati Airport

*Big sigh*.

Thank goodness I'm sitting at the gate and getting ready to board.

This morning my mom and I got on the computer to check my flight. I was listed as a Delta "Non-Rev", which means I was trying to take advantage of my father's status as a Delta Retiree, and was trying to get to New York for free. Yesterday it looked like everything was going to work out perfectly.... but this morning, things had changed. Instead of having 15 open seats on the flight (which meant I would surely get on board), they flight was oversold by 3 seats = I wasn't going to New York.

We made feverish phone calls to the emergency line for Lyon Travel to let them know I wouldn't make my Air France flight to Paris this evening, and called my dad to see if he could do anything. God bless that man. He used his Delta connections to call Delta directly (Expedia had told me that all seats were sold and that I was going nowhere) and explain the emergency, and spent "a small fortune" to get me a seat on the plane. Thank you Dad!

So, after my father spent hundreds of dollars on a seat and pulled all the strings he could, I am sitting at gate B25 with a sense of ease. I'm going to Morocco!

My backpack is heavy, but not over the weight limit. It checked no problem. I was "chosen" by Delta to go through extra security screening, so I spent a good 20 minutes getting screened. (There was no one else there... so I didn't have to wait. That was nice). I like the air puff machine. :)

They're now boarding zone 1, which means zone 5 will be walking on board soon.


I've got happy butterflies in my stomach!

Hopefully I can post an update in New York. If not, I'll send messages from Paris or Rabat.

No comments: