Friday, September 7, 2007

Rabat continues to be wonderful

I'm starting to feel like part of the community of the medina. I recognize the faces of shopkeepers (in Darija, mulhannutiin), I can speak more of the local language, I'm learning to bargain (apparently I paid way too much for a Moroccan dress yesterday...). Today two teenage boys struck up a conversation with Carly and me while we walked to school, asking me where I'm from, where I bought my sunglasses, if I like Arabic. "You must practice, then, in two years, you good." "I hope," I responded. I think that I'd like to make Morocco my annual or bi-annual vacation; it would be great to become fluent in Darija. The people love when you speak even a word of Darija to them, and are highly complimentary when we say things properly. Learning the language is great. (and we're learning it ridiculously fast; in less than a week I've learned as much Darija as I learned Spanish in High School Spanish 1).

Off to run to afternoon sessions. Things are great here. They really are.

Andi usted mezyehn. Kanbri ldarija bezzef. L-maghrib zweyhn.
I have a good Arabic teacher. I like Darija a lot. Morocco is beautiful.

And more to come...

No comments: