Tuesday, September 25, 2007

the god of the mountain

I believe in the god of the mountain,

the god of fire, of rain, of wind, of sunlight.

I believe in the god of tears and smiles and hugs, of goosebumps and an overwhelming sense of smallness and awe.

I believe in rays of sunlight breaking through the dusty windows of a wooden cathedral.

I believe in dew enthroned on blades of grass, in mist nestled in the bosoms of old evergreen peaks, in baby fawns running through thousand year old forests.

I believe in worn sandstone, in earnest prayer, in peace the settles the storm within.

I believe in the One, emanating in, of and throughout all things.

I believe in Ultimate Surrender, in unconditional compassion, in timeless love.

I believe in adoration.

I believe in my own smallness and in my own light. I believe in the ability to be everywhere at once and in no place in particular.

I believe in the intangible.

I believe in the soul.

I believe in ruach.



I believe that there is One way, and that everyone can attain it, and probably already has, in some way, large or small.

I believe there is no such thing as large, and no such thing as small.

I believe that Jesus, Mohammad, Buddha, the Great Mother, Krisha, Shiva, Brahma and Moses — I believe that at first glance, they divide. Superficiality never yielded the truth of the matter.

I believe that studying comparative religion perpetuates misinformation, stereotypes, and confusion.

I believe we’re all on paths, trails, roads, and highways leading somewhere that may or not be the same place. But we’re all on them, and it doesn’t matter who controls the road we’re on, because the One and the Way created all the roads.

I believe particularities lead us away from truth, and that religion divides.

Love and compassion — acceptance and forgiveness.

These are the vital threads.

These are the fruits of paradise; the nectar of our gods.

Read the Bible, chant om, face your prayer rugs towards Mecca.

Live as an embodied being, become fully a person of particular time and particular place.

Then leave.

No comments: