Tuesday, September 4, 2007

New York. JFK Airport. September 1 4:44 pm.

(A belated entry... from JFK airport before I leave the country)

JFK airport is teeming with people. I’ve decided I don’t much like this airport, because they give very poor instructions on how to get from place to place. When I disembarked from my Cincinnati-JFK flight, there were no instructions at the baggage claim area on how to get anywhere else in the airport except to further Delta connections. I had to ask several perturbed Delta employees how to get to AirFrance.... and finally found the AirTrain that took me to Terminal 1.

I’m writing this from the lower floor of the international terminal, eating a disgusting and greasy piece of pizza. It was the cheapest option at the “Panini Express” kiosk, which sold sandwiches that didn’t look much better for about $9.00. My hunger is gone now, but my back hurts a little from carrying my ridiculously heavy backpack. And I wish I had the internet. There are lots of wireless connections here, but none available to me.... not even one I could pay $19.99 an hour to use Unfair. So here I sulk.

The one cool thing about this airport is that about 12 different languages are being spoken around me right now. And at least I have my computer, so I can write this entry and post it to my blog and Facebook later.

Less than an hour until I meet my group, and stand uncomfortably in a crowd of hundreds while I wait to go through security screening. Really—the lines are incredible. It looks like a rock concert might be going on in this terminal, only people aren’t jumping, and the only sound is the murmur of one thousand voices.

I really wish my backpack weren’t so heavy. *sigh*.

And my adventure begins, with a greasy slice of pizza in my belly. :)

No comments: