Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Azrou

October 16 1:15 pm
The last time the sky looked like this, I was in Treblinka.
eery cloudy gray-blue. rare and spectacular.
I have no idea what this means.

“Watch out for the monkeys.
They’re aggressive.”
—Said.

11:30pm
I went jogging today in the pouring rain. Trucks splashed muddy water all over me, but I ran with a smile on my face. I talked to Steffa about rain and running and nature and beauty and living abroad. We saw two rainbows.
On the jog back to the hotel, we ran down a hill, and towards a breathtaking view of the small village of Azrou. Blue sky above, white puffy clouds parting and letting rays of sunlight hit the ground. I ran with my arms outstretched, laughing. “Steffa, this is amazing ” “I know ” she said.
We marveled at the mountain she had climbed earlier in the day, illuminated by the rays of sunlight as the clouds drifted away. It was breathtaking in the descending dusk. We discussed identity and religion and plans after graduation. We stared at a shepherd as he herded his sheep past us, and then our gaze returned to the mountain. We put our arms around each other and just looked at it.
It felt like fall today. Moroccan autumn smells good.

No comments: