Saturday, May 3, 2008

Tiberias, Israel

Globe-trotting again. We just got in from a day at Caesarea Maritima, Megiddo (from which we saw Mount Carmel, Mount Moreh, Mount Gilboa, and the Samaritan hills), and Nazareth. I had a great meal at the hotel (all the hummus I could stand), and then practiced dance for a while near the elevators on my floor. Two little Israeli boys sat on chairs and watched me dance for about 10 minutes. They kept trying to talk to me and couldn't understand why I didn't speak Hebrew. They giggled a lot.

Best parts of the trip: being able to read Arabic signs. I can't understand all of it, but I can read it. And at the Basilica of the Assumption in Nazareth (grotto church where the angel supposedly appeared to Mary, competing with another site at the Greek Orthodox Church of the Assumption) I could understand a good bit of the Arabic translation on the informational sign near the entrance. Pretty cool. I'm having trouble speaking, because the colloquial is so different, but I can communicate like a 1st grader now, as opposed to a kindergartner.

Wish I knew Hebrew, love the Arabic. And the historical/archaeological sites are incredible. Tomorrow we start on a boat across the Sea of Galilee, and end up in Capernaum, and Sepphoris, a town neighboring Nazareth where Joseph and Jesus probably worked as carpenters.

Tonight several of us are going to pour through the books of Kings and Chronicles to figure out exactly what is said to have happened in the sites we visited. So much to learn.

Having a great time. Love and miss you all.

No comments: